Friday, July 10, 2009

Encounters with Meher Baba Part III

After my meditation at the Meher Abode, I was scheduled to go on a tour of the center. After being in that quiet for which I longed with every atom of my being, the tour was somewhat painful. It was a large group of people, not all of which were staying at the center, and some of whom were quite bestowed with historical knowledge they felt compelled to share. There's nothing wrong with that, except all I wanted to do was go back to the silence! Somehow I endured. And when, after the longest hour and a half of my life, we were dismissed, I ran with my arms outstretched through the woods happy to be alive and free at last and "back on retreat".

I spent that afternoon at the beach swimming and enjoying how like the mind the ocean is. The waves, like thoughts, never rest. They just keep coming and coming and coming...relentlessly. Yet underneath all that, there is so much depth and mystery and blackness.

That evening, I saught refuge in the air conditioned coolness of the library reading room. Eventually, I had it all to myself and was able to read some of Baba's Discourses. Within those pages I discovered the answer to my question about Baba's sleep. He wrote that when a master "rests his body, he experiences no gap in consciousness."

Afterwards, I went into a very deep meditation feeling Baba's loving presence stir my own. It was so powerful. Heaven! Tranquility!

Next: The Ocean of Love

No comments: