Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Evolution of Revolution: What Are You Demonstrating?

Things are really heating up in this country. People are taking to the streets to demand accountability of our leaders, both in government and in financing. At first, I was very excited to join in the demonstrations, but after reading some boards on Facebook, I had second thoughts. Did I really want to be a part of so much anger and blame? Did I want to stand amidst all that confusion and negativity? Is that what I've spent my spiritual life preparing for?

This morning, I watched a video taken on the Brooklyn Bridge from the Occupy Wallstreet March of a 7 year old girl being arrested. Police brutality? Look, I don't know. I only know how my physical and emotional body responded to that video, and probably not in the way you'd expect.

As I watched the child with the police, I noticed her smile. I noticed her inner calm. I noticed her dignity and wisdom. As I listened to the ranting crowd, I felt discombobulated, fearful, and quite frankly, disgusted. Their voices were harsh and ugly. They were, in their anger and resentment, embodying the very energy they claim to be against. They were the real children...and they were tantruming. I should know; I've been an expert at that.

If we are going to make demands of our leaders to be held accountable, to take better care of the 99%, then we had better well demonstrate THAT! It isn't an easy road ahead. There are too many voices in our own heads, too many people needing to be right. Too much hatred and blame. That may be a revolution, but where is the evolution?

Those of us with eyes to see, we've got to stand and simply witness both sides, those shouting for justice, those using this as a means to vent violence, those twisting truth to suit themselves, those who just haven't grown up enough to stand like that child begin arrested did...and we've GOT to accept them both, love them both. We've got to SHOW people the way is INSIDE. If we're going to demonstrate, then we all better be asking ourselves WTF we're actually demonstrating. Immaturity? The need to be right? Victimhood? Do we really stand for that? It would seem so for many.

Here are my demands. I make them of myself. May my mind know peace, equanimity, compassion, and joy no matter what my outer experience. May these qualities arise in me spontaneously and effortlessly. May I stand for the Love that illusion continues to veil.

That's how to change the world.

No comments: