Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Music Can Save Your Life

Today I saw Wynton Marsalis on the Colbert Report. He has written a book titled Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life. I haven't read it yet, but from his interview with Stephen Colbert, I know it says something very important. Music, like jazz, teaches us how to listen. And beyond that, when we truly engage with music, it teaches us how to hear the truth. In this age, with so many of us searching for what is true amidst the illusions we face and the lies we are told every day, music can save our lives.

That's what it is all about, my friends. The great human battle is the one between truth and lies.

So, the first thing we must do when asking ourselves, "What is true?" is to do what one of my teachers don Miguel Ruiz has said over and over again. Don't believe me. Don't believe anyone else. And especially, don't believe yourself. Only then will you be free to experience truth which doesn't need anyone to describe or expound it.

I agree with Wynton. Jazz, and all music, can train our ears to perceive truth. Music takes us on a journey into the realms outside of words, dogmas, and meanings. It takes us to the heart and soul of things. That is where truth lies.

No comments: